Monday, April 12, 2010

A year without diapers...

Is that really going to be my life? A whole year with NO diapers?

Sure I'm sad about not having some cute tiny little newborn diapers to change in just a few months. But if I'm going to be looking on the bright side of things, this is definitely a plus!

I've been thinking for quite a while now that Jack is pretty much ready to take the potty training plunge. I just didn't want to overwhelm myself and no time ever seemed like a good time. But this morning, completely out of the blue, I couldn't think of any reason NOT to start. So I asked Jack about it and he was in.

It started out great, which made me nervous. He was going in the potty every time, but I was the one reminding him to go. And of course the second I got distracted with something he had two accidents (thankfully both easy-clean-up-number-ones), one right after the other.

So we had a little chat and I kept reminding him to tell me when he needed to go and all of the sudden he was! And he keeps telling me! Number one, number two, he has made it every time! This is insane to me!

So tonight, as promised, we are heading to the store to pick out a toy or treat. And we'll do the same thing tomorrow night. And probably every night this week just to be sure he really gets it.

Of course, you never know. I could be getting ahead of myself here. But I really do think he's got it! Do you know what this means? It seriously means I'll have ZERO kids in diapers for around a year! A few months to heal and nine months of pregnancy. That's a year even if we get pregnant right away! In about 4 months I'll have no kids in diapers, a child in school all day, and Jack will be in preschool twice a week for a few hours. No kids in diapers and FIVE WHOLE HOURS to myself with no kid related interruptions!

Wow. My life is changing fast. Maybe too fast. I'm not going to slow down the diaper thing, but do I really have to send my firstborn off to school so soon?

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

no diapers. what would that be like???? hopefully little jack goes all the way and does well. isaac was potty trained in like 2 days right before he turned three. and has done great with it since. it's refreshing to have an easy one when my 5 1/2 year old is still peeing *and sometimes pooping* his pants on a regular basis.

r said...

I hope he keeps it up! That's awesome.

Hazel has been back sliding and I don't really know what to do about it. She rarely has number one accidents (the park was kind of a random exception) but she refuses to do a #2 on the potty. For a while she would ask for a diaper to do her business but now she won't even do that. Ahhhhh! So hard to be patient.

Steffani Dastrup said...

Wow! How awesome is that? I was just thinking about all the things I could buy with the money we use on diapers! Enjoy it! :)

Erin said...

that's seriously wonderful! way to go jack:) did he get some mcqueen big boy pants?:)

Breeann said...

I seriously love the no diapers thing but I am with you, it would be nice to have a little one who needed me like that. Just think when you do have another one how much time you will have to spend with them! (that is what keeps me going) I am so jealous about the you time! Good luck with the potty training!

XO said...

Ben has been backsliding in potty training (just on #2), but luckily preschool will still take him - STARTING NEXT WEEK! Four days a week for 2 1/2 hours (three if you count the bus ride). I'm still having worries on if it's too soon, but I know it's not too soon for him, just me.

Anonymous said...

I'm SOOOOOO excited for you!! And utterly jealous!

You rock McKenna!