Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Lots of Upcoming Changes!!

Jason had his third and final interview and an orientation for this job he's been applying for with Schlumberger (an oil company) yesterday morning in Salt Lake.

We've been amazed at how this opportunity seemed to fall into our laps and how all the little pieces have just fit together in this LONG process. He was able to get the morning off work without risking losing his job (I'm sure they wouldn't be too happy to know that he's applying somewhere else). We were a little nervous about that, but it worked out just fine. Applicants were narrowed from 50 to 5 candidates (although they have several positions available) and Jason turned out to be the most qualified for the job. They actually want to start him in phase 2 of training, ahead of the other new hires. Assuming his criminal FBI background check and drug tests all come back okay (I think we're safe there =D) he'll start next month.

We are pretty sure we've decided on Rock Springs, Wyoming. A lot went into that decision. We researched our brains out for every location. But Rock Springs is the one that just felt right, so that's where we'll go. It's definitely not where I would have EVER imagined myself living, but most of my life isn't how I imagined it which has led to me being happier than I could have ever imagined.

So Jason will go to Rock Springs next month for a 30 day trial. He'll have on-the-job training while still on the temp agency's payroll. The kids and I will stay here at my parents'. The company pays for his food and housing for that 30 days, so we'll be able to pack away some more savings, which will be wonderful!!

At the end of the trial he gets to come home for a few days. And then assuming they decide to keep him on (which I can't see why they wouldn't) they'll send him to Oklahoma for three weeks of more intense training. Benefits, 401K, and the likes start immediately. And again, the company pays his expenses, flight, housing, food, etc.

He'll have a few days home again where we'll pack to move. Then Jason gets up to another 30 days to find permanent housing for us where the company provides housing, etc. Hopefully we can get into a place quickly because I'm sure we'll have had enough time apart at that point! Although because Rock Springs is only about two to tow and a half hours away, hopefully we'll be able to be together as a family on weekends during that first thirty days.

Apparently there isn't much in the way of rentals in these little podunk towns. At least not at a decent price, anyway. But we'll probably take what we can find for the first year or two, feel out the job and location and save up for a big down payment before we buy a house.

Who knows how long we'll be there. The company wants a long term commitment and we're completely willing to do that. They do have several locations all over the world and we could transfer at some point if we chose to. There's a TON of room for Jason to grow within the company and he's thinking he'll probably retire there. They seem like an amazing company. They did 23.5 billion dollars last year, so we're feeling like it's as safe and stable as it gets. No matter how green the world gets we'll always need oil.

The position, in case you're wondering, is driving out to well sites and fortifying the oil wells. It's a lot of physical labor, which is what Jason likes. He's good at it. The hours are pretty intense and he'll have to work every other Saturday and a couple of holidays a year, but the compensation is worth it!

This is not the path in life that either of us ever would have expected. Jason never grew up thinking this is what he would want to do for the rest of his life. But it's the path that the Lord has put before us and we're so excited to start down it! It's going to open up so many opportunities for us as a family and we're really looking forward to it.

It will be so nice to be in our own place again! As much fun as it is to be around family and have a little help with my kids and to be able to take advantage of my parents' yard and pool, it will be SO NICE to get back into our own routine and have our own space. And I'm sure they feel the same way. Strangely enough, I'm most looking forward to being able to sift through all of our junk! I hate moving, but I love going through everything and just minimizing! I love that feeling of cleaning out a junk drawer or organizing a closet and just seeing the space you've created by getting rid of junk you don't need. And pulling out the kids' toys that are still in storage will be fun, too. It will be like Christmas in the middle of the year!!

Anyway, things aren't completely final until they're final, so we're still praying that everything works out. But it's looking good so far. I'll just be glad this fall when we're all settled in!!

7 comments:

Justin Nixon said...

Hey i didn't know that you already moved back from Maryland. How'd that work out?
I've been to rock springs a couple of times to do work out there for the western WY university. Not much out there, but it's better than most of the other towns i've been to in WY. So i hope it works out for you guys. Good luck

Tabitha said...

Congrats, congrats. I will continue to keep y'all in my prayers.

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

wow, thats awesome! Man, those are a lot of changes coming up for you guys, but I know you'll adapt to them with flying colors!.....I mean you DID live in Rexburg, if you can live here, you can live almost anywhere!

Jobi Niu said...

McKenna cool, I'm really happy for you uys. I love you and your cute family! I'll be sad if you move to Wyoming.. but it'll be awesome for your fam. Good Luck Jason! :) i'm comin swimmin next week sometime, I LOVE your pool!

Breeann said...

Congrats, I hope it all works out the way you expected! It is really interesting that no matter how you thought life was going to be (and no matter how hard you try and make it become what YOU want) some how the Lord always has his own plans, which of course are always better than you imagined. Good luck to you with all your upcoming changes and congrats again!

Jason & Kelli West said...

Wow!! McKenna, you have alot going on right now! I wishyou the best of luck while your hubby is gone for the 30 days! I would just HATE that! Hopefully you can see him every weekend! I hope everything turns out like it's suppose to! I wish the best of luck for your family. You are such a sweetheart and a good person. You deserve ALL the blessings that the Lords sends your way!!

Lynette said...

Hey Girl!Wow! Jack is one already?!?! Man, you are so right. It goes by way fast. I'm so excited that you chose Wyoming!!!!!!!!! Jared and I will be living in Alpine next fall which is only an hour and 1/2 to 2 hrs away from you! And Jared and I can come visit you semi-often. That's so exciting that Jason has found a great job. I'm sure they'll keep him!