Friday, November 18, 2011

Never Again...

...will I attempt a Twilight midnight movie. Or any midnight movie to be honest.

I read all the books. I enjoyed all the books. Okay, that's not entirely true. I really liked book one, loved book two, book three was fine, and I HATED book four. Like loathed it. It ruined the whole thing for me. But whatever.

When the movies started to come out I wanted to see them, but I just wasn't that excited. Movies are ridiculously overpriced in my opinion, and these were just not worth paying for. I think they got most of the casting wrong. Anyway, I decided to just wait and rent the movies later for $1 or less. (Yay free redbox codes!)

The first time I watched them I was annoyed. I was busy scrutinizing what they did differently from the books and why I didn't like that actor as that character. When I watched them the second time I relaxed a bit and enjoyed them about as much as possible for me. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch them again, but they were fine. (Twi-hards, please don't kill me. I'm sorry these movies just weren't my thing.)

So when my cousin texted me about going with a big group to the midnight premier of Breaking Dawn Part 1, I thought twice before agreeing. Ultimately I decided that the experience of a midnight movie and acting 15 again with a bunch of girls would be fun and worth it, even if the movie was awful.

Turns out it was just a bad idea. I knew I would need to take Lucas because he could wake up to eat, and he's still nursing, so Jason just wasn't going to be able to handle that on his own. ;) When we got to the theater Lucas was out. He's such a good baby. He didn't make a peep at all. And we've been to movies before. He's so good. He actually has just sat on my lap and watched the screen. He loves it!

And then the lights dimmed. And the freaking Twi-Hards started screaming. And I was stupid and joined in the fun, mocking the idiots. And then my baby started screaming. :( He was so scared! I tried as fast as I could to calm him down before the Twi-Hards attacked me for disturbing their precious shirtless-Jacob moment. And he just wasn't having it. So I picked up my diaper bag, my mom's car keys (we carpooled) and my baby and climbed over the row of crazy fans and left.

I got Lucas calmed down and fed him and then tried to figure out what to do. Should I just go back in and enjoy the rest of the movie? But that required climbing back over all those people on our row (why were we in the middle?!) and then if the screaming started again (which I'm sure would have happened the second that pasty white vampire showed up) and Lucas flipped again I would have to shuffle with all my gear past those people again. I just didn't want to ruin anyone else's experience.

But who wants to sit outside a movie theater for two hours with a baby? I couldn't just take the car and drive home. How would my mom and aunt get home? And I had left Lucas's carseat in the theater. Dang it! I wasn't going to climb over everyone to get the seat and then climb back over them with it, all the while carrying a diaper bag and baby. Ugh.

Solution? Get comfy in Mom's Mercedes (with those yummy heated seats) and fall asleep with the babe. Sigh. Around two I woke up to tapping on the window. We drove home, I got in my car and drove home, making it before 3 am. Finally home in my comfy bed where I should have just been sleeping the last 5 hours.

Grrrr. I lost precious sleep for nothing. My own fault and no one else's. Lesson learned. Never take a 4 month old (how is he that big already?!) to a midnight movie with screaming hoards of crazies. And don't join in. Curse you, mob mentality! Next time, I will savor the gift of each and every minute of sleep instead.

So what if it means I'm kind of old now and can't hack the late night? It also means that I am blessed to be a mommy to three beautiful blessings. And today is definitely one of those every-time-I-look-at-you-all-I-can-think-about-is-how-much-I-love-you-and-it-makes-me-want-to-cry kind of days. :) So much better than a Twilight movie!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not all midnight movies evoke such mob mentalily reactions, just so you know. Twilight is NEVER one of those movies for babies. too many sexually repressed people in the audience :)

I'm sorry you hated your expierence. I totally thought about you too when I left the theater at 11! wink, wink!

(hugs) to you friend!

Jason & Kelli West said...

ugh. sorry to hear about that night. I didn't even bother to go. Staying up that late holds no appeal to me. I too loved the books, and dont care too much for the movies. I could have even had FREE tickets from my dentist for an 8 oclock showing but passed it up because I didnt want too much going on in my day. Lol... maybe we can watch it together from redbox or netflix :)

Laura said...

My friend and I tried to go but a foot of snow on the canyon roads kinda spoiled it for us. :(

I don't consider myself a Twi-hard, but I do enjoy the books and making fun of the movies. ;)

Laura said...

Aren't you ever going to update this here blog??? ;)