Thursday, October 2, 2008

Playing Catch Up

And now the moment you've all been waiting for!!!

Really, the truth is, this is probably going to be a lame post. It's taken me forever and thus built up undue anticipation. But oh well!! I didn't promise anything special. Just a post!!

So first, we'll start with our excursion to the zoo!! A couple of weeks ago, my cousin, (actually, my cousin's wife, but family is family, in law or not!) Erin, and I decided that since we were both temporary single mothers we needed to get out of the house. So we took the kids up to the Hogle Zoo!! We planned to leave early (ish) in the afternoon but ended up leaving around four. Such is the life of mothers with young children. :)

Morgan, Noah, and Jack
three monkeys watching the monkeys =)
p.s. Jack's shirt is light maroon, but for some reason it looks pink in this picture


The kids had a lot of fun. I think Erin and I couldn't have cared less. Anything that got us out of the house for some adult conversation would have been accepted JOYFULLY!! We hadn't hung out for a long, long time so it was really fun to reconnect. We've been each others' replacement spouse the last few weeks. (Erin's hubby, Isaac, does summer sales and extended, but she and the kids had to get back for Morgan to start school).

beautiful Morgan Mae

Of course, I had to take the traditional picture of Payson comparing her arm span to that of a gorilla...

And then, to show you how freakishly tall Erin is compared to me, check out her arm span!! SIX FOOT ONE!! Actually, almost the same as the gorilla!! =D

Check out this picture of Noah! I know it's a little blurry, but look how similar he and Jack look!! At first I actually thought this was my son!!

He's just too cute! Look at those pouty lips!! I wanna bite 'em off!!

Anyway, so then the next week, Jason had Monday through Wednesday off of work!! AND he got off early on Sunday! So we had him home Sunday evening, Monday, Tuesday, and half of the day Wednesday before he had to head back.

I can't even tell you how much fun it was to have him home!! And for three days instead of two!! I bawled like a baby again when he had to leave. I hate that part. But we had a blast while he was here. Monday we took Payson to school. She was so excited to show her Daddy her classroom and teacher. It was really fun.

Then we spent the rest of the day Monday and Tuesday shopping!! I was still wearing nursing bras and garments!! YIKES!! So I got what I would call an AMAZING boob job from Mervyn's!! a.k.a. new bras. Seriously, if I don't catch you checking out my rack the next time I see you, I might be a little offended.

Okay, so maybe I've gone too far. Back to our time with Jas! So then Tuesday night my little sister (thanks Madie!!) watched the kids so that Jason and I could go on a d-a-t-e!!! We hadn't been out together in MONTHS! It was so perfect!

We went to my favorite little Japanese place for dinner. Osaka in Provo!! It's SO delicious! I got loads of sushi (and yes, I even eat the raw stuff) and Jason got the same things he gets every time: Teriyaki chicken and steak.

making our best fishy faces in front of the fish tank

Just for me, Jason ACTUALLY tried some of the RAW stuff!! I had to catch it on film...

AND HE LIKED IT!! Who can resist a good spicy tuna roll?

After dinner, we headed over to tRaFaLgA to steal a date night idea from Jayni!! Apparently Trafalga has a $20 date night package that includes

* go cart races
*50 pitches each at the batting cages
*18 holes of mini golf
*some tokens for the arcades
AND
*2 large dip n dots at the end of the night!!

What a steal, right?!

We made a bet before we raced about who would win. Here I am taunting the future loser.
When the light turned green and we started, I pressed my foot down to the floor on the gas and my car didn't go!! WHAT?!?! So Jason got a HUGE head start! Not fair! Although, he turned to look behind himself at me and while he was distracted I zipped right passed him and then stayed on the inside of the track so that he had no chance! :) I totally won!! (By the way, babe, you still owe me that massage!!)

Batter up!!

Look at that BUTT!! So HOT!!

We had so much fun! I didn't think I would like the batting cages as much as I did. And I was surprisingly good!! Or maybe lucky. I'm not sure which.

Jason kicked my tail at the miniature golf. I had several holes where it took me 7-10 strokes to reach the stupid hole. I'm a little impatient and golf is not my thing. By the time we got around to the golfing it was too dark outside for any decent pictures. Oh well.

We bought some extra tokens inside and wasted them on ski ball and some shooting and racing games. I felt like I was twelve!! We had such a blast!! Then we found this arcade game version of Deal or No Deal!! SO FUN!! Instead of money amounts it gives ticket amounts and is played just like that game show, but with a few less cases. It goes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, 40, 70, 100...or something like that. Anyway, we ended up winning 70 tickets!! The second highest amount!! Imagine if it had been the real game show!! HALF A MILLION DOLLARS!! :) Well, I can dream, can't I?

We got our dip n dots and used our tokens to get some cheap prizes for the kids and headed home. We had so much fun and didn't want to be done with the night, so we grabbed a movie on the way home. And then realized that we're old and went to bed before we were half way through it. :)

Anyway, having Jason home was amazing as ever! This time apart is such a reminder to me not to take advantage of having him around. I can handle the house and kids and laundry and such on my own just fine. But having my best friend around makes it a million times more worth it!!

That next weekend was the General Relief Society Broadcast, which I L.O.V.E.D.! President Uchtdorf is so wonderful and I loved each of the talks. They were so perfect. It got me so excited for General Conference this weekend!! I must be a real grown up. As I teenager I always dreaded (even though I did end up enjoying it most of the time) knowing that I was going to be spending eight hours in front of the tv trying to stay awake. Now I can't wait for conference to roll around! I love taking notes and then rereading the talks in the Ensign later in the year.

Oh!! A couple of funny stories about my silly girl!! So the last week with Payson has been terribly entertaining!! First, the other day I was doing laundry and could hear Payson in the family room. Rachel Ray was on in the background. All of the sudden Payson cracked up as loud as I've ever heard her! She starts yelling, "Mama! Mama! Guess what that lady said!" So I came out and asked what. She says to me, "She said 'chicken bra'!!" And she starts guffawing again. I couldn't help but laugh!! Apparently Rachel Ray was cooking with chicken broth and Payson had misheard. :)

Then one morning this week she had put a Barney dvd into the portable dvd player and turned it on in the bedroom before school. There's this song that goes, "No matter how you choose to move, exercise is good for you!" So I'm listening to Payson sing along and all of the sudden she belts out at the top of her lungs, "No matter how you shake your boobs, exercise is good for you!!" Ha ha ha ha ha ha!! I almost peed myself! That one caught me so off guard. She looked at me so innocently! She thought those were the ACTUAL words!

And last, to top it all off, she came to me the other day with her teeth super glued together. That's right, folks! Her TEETH were SUPER GLUED together. Apparently she had found my secret stash of superglue in the back of a drawer and chewed on the tube. Her tiny teeth punctured little holes in it and the glue was all over in her mouth. SOMEHOW she managed to keep it off her skin, thank the high heavens! But I spent some time after that reading the warning labels to make sure we didn't need to call poison control or the doctor's office and then sat picking at the dried glue until we had most of it off. Good grief, child!! I swear. Fortunately, the saliva in her mouth kept the glue from sticking to her cheeks and gums and also made it a little easier to pick off of her teeth. But it was still time consuming and completely obnoxious!! So next time your kid eats glue, just be glad it's not Superglue!!

I still have a couple of tags to post and another post in my head about honesty that I will be needing some input on!! So stay tuned! But that's all for now!! Happy Conference Weekend!!

16 comments:

XO said...

I LOVE to eat "the raw stuff" too - although one of my favorite rolls is the eel - which isn't raw.

And WOW on the super-glued teeth. Admit it - you strategically planted the super-glue just to get some peace and quiet. Nice move, I'll remember that one!

Megan said...

Cute kids....fun date night...and you're looking hot and thin! It must be that raw stuff you're eating. Hey, maybe I should try super-gluing my teeth together...sounds like a great weight loss plan to me! =)

Randi A. said...

I promise to check out your rack next time I see you!!

Anonymous said...

totally worth the wait :)
Cute pictures of your date and what a fun idea! I almost wished I lived down here so we could do that sometime (almost). And the superglue... that's just awesome! I hope you took pictures!

Lindsay said...

What a fun Date night. Good for you guys! I need to be better at having those! And super glue! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Erin said...

Freakishly tall huh?! I'll get you back for that one. It was a fun trip to the zoo! I've had lots of fun catching up with you lately! Thanks for hanging out with your freakishly tall friend. You're just jealous that you have to wear heels with your regular inseam pants:P. Glad you had such a fun night with Jason too! I love Osaka myself. We'll see you guys soon!!!

Breeann said...

I am totally jealous of your date night! We might have to steal that idea if we can ever find a babysitter! Payson is a crack up! I love hearing the funny things kids say and do. At least life is interesting right?

Trish Griffee said...

so totally off subject but where is Idaho is your husband from? And that glue story had me rolling!!

Jason & Kelli West said...

McKenna you are great! I'm so happy that you and Jason were able to go out on a date! It looked liek you had a TON of fun! I love teh pictures!! I told Kristin the the three of us need to get together and hang out!! I hope you have a great weekend!

Kristin said...

OK I love deal or no deal we played it in Vegas and we cleaned house too!
OK I think I need to go bra shopping with you becuase after I buy a bra I still feel like i am a 12 yr old little girl !! i need some major boob help, I will take cash donations!!

Randi A. said...

You've made me crave sushi! How am I suppose to satisfy that at 1:30 in the morning??
:)

Lynette said...

Oh man, if only I could blog as interestingly as you do. I's so happy for you that Jason was home for three days instead of too. I don't know how you guys do it.

Oh man, that is too funny....we all know you're the one teaching her those words to the song Mckenna. HAHA.

Super glue...nice.

I heart your blog...check out mine for details!!!

Tabitha said...

That sounds like such a fun date!!! $20 dollars for all that really is a steal. We took Elijah to Emerald Falls (which is just like Trafalga) and spent $15.00 on just the 2 boys. Then we had to pay another $15.00 for us. WE DIDN'T EVEN DO THE PUTT PUTT!!!! Then we ended up buying pizza and sharing a drink.. another $12.00. Then of course we had to play the arcades, $5.00. Ughhh.. so that's what.. $47.00 and we didn't even get dip n dots :(. Sad. I don't know how you spend so much time away from Jason. I would just day. You are a strong woman. I'm glad you got to spend so much quality time with him. :D

Burgon Fam said...

OH i loved the pics of you and hubby on a date! Alone Time with your Best friend Is the best ever! I saw You at the womens conference i went with Jesse's mom and sister....i went to find you afterward but the girls wanted to sneak out for a bite...darn it! we still need to get together!

Semi Granola Mom said...

Wow, scary on the super glue. That date night rocks, we might have to do the same, I didn't know 20 bucks could go so far :)

Andrew and Charonne- said...

ok, so Payson is so cute!!!